Extending Factory Battery Cables
Show off your custom retrofit, interior lights, backup cameras, or head units! We want to see how you wired your electronics up! Sponsored by TheRetrofitSource

staro0989

Extending Factory Battery Cables

by staro0989 » January 19th, 2015

So I am trying to install a new battery terminal as shown here: http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/battery-terminals/sp/konfused-positive-battery-terminal/

The new terminal has 3 compression fittings for 1/0 gauge wire, but the factory wires seem to be a 4 gauge and an 8 gauge wire and I'd like them to utilize only a single compression fitting. I am considering purchasing this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-battery-repair-cable-universal-top-4-gauge-ac164-a14080/6280183-P?zoneAssigned=1 or a distribution block to make it work. Has anyone done this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigwilly

Re: Extending Factory Battery Cables

by Bigwilly » January 20th, 2015

The website says that additional 4 gauge fittings can be purchased for a triple 4 gauge output. Do you need to upgrade to 0 gauge? 4 gauge is good up to about 1500W but I would definitely upgrade the 8 gauge negative to 4 gauge.

staro0989

Re: Extending Factory Battery Cables

by staro0989 » January 20th, 2015

Bigwilly wrote:The website says that additional 4 gauge fittings can be purchased for a triple 4 gauge output. Do you need to upgrade to 0 gauge? 4 gauge is good up to about 1500W but I would definitely upgrade the 8 gauge negative to 4 gauge.

I actually have 1/0 gauge wire for my new system and to perform the big "3" upgrade. My issue was that on the positive terminal, there were two factory wires at that point. Since the terminal I bought only has 3 fittings, I need one fitting for the upgraded alternator cable for the big "3" upgrade and another to go to my audio system distribution block which would leave one more fitting available for the two factory wires. I needed a way to extend the factory wires since they were short along with combining them to fit into the one fitting. I was actually able to achieve this by purchasing the battery repair cable from Advance Auto shown above and cutting off the terminal. I then put it into the fitting and everything seems to be good, no more short wires and only using a single fitting! Now I can finish my big "3" upgrade, I've already replaced the factory battery ground wire and the transmission ground wire with 1/0 gauge.