DIY 3rd high mount brake light 5 way led taillights
Show off your custom retrofit, interior lights, backup cameras, or head units! We want to see how you wired your electronics up! Sponsored by TheRetrofitSource

jman64cola

DIY 3rd high mount brake light 5 way led taillights

by jman64cola » December 25th, 2014

Disclaimer i am not responsive for any damages that accrue from this diy.

This is a diy for my version of the 3rd high mount brake light. here is the end result of the mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpMlZYeTFXg

here are the parts used for the mod:
2x red white led strips http://www.exledusa.com/exled-db5-2way-flexible-d.i.y-bar-pcb-20-inch-for-2color-5450-2yw-2yb-2rw-led-only.html
2x Parking Lights + Turn signal Control Module for 1 Color LED setup http://www.exledusa.com/parking-lights-turn-signal-control-module-for-1-color-led-setup-pair.html ( i used 2 pieces to do this job but they have since came up with one module that dose the same job.)
wire to extend the led strips from the top to the trunk tail lights
heat shrink
wire tap in connectors ( i cut and soldered all of my connections but can achieve the same effect with them.)
3m double sided tape

Ok so to start off extend the wires off of the led strips so they will be able to reach the trunk with plenty of extra left over. Hint:( make your connections small and not all at one spot so you can fit it in the window channel on the car.)

i had to do some prep work due to the 2 control pieces but you will be able to skip this step with the new control module

i used long pieces of heat shrink to cove the wire from the roof in till the trunk to:
A) keep water out and B) to hide the bright color of the wires.

I tinted mine to stand out less but this is an optional step.
Center both led strips onto the car and apply the led strips to the lip of the spoiler

work the wire down the window channel in till you have it snaked all the way into the trunk.
now for the wire diagram
i know it can be a bit confusing but the colors are not optional obviously.

basically you need to take ground, running lights and brake lights from the bottom plug wires.
the turn wire from the turn light plug and the backup wire from the back up light wire.
everything will run thru the module except for the backup light.

this is my first diy so please let me know what you think and if you have any questions please feel free to ask
happy modding :D :)
08 accord coupe EX-L NAV Manuel 5 speed
mods: Enkei gp5 18x8 : 3p air lift : Greddy cat back exhaust : j-power rear camber kit : sti lip : mugen rep grill : trunk and roof lip spoiler: H & R 25 mm spacers in rear: ebay intake : k tuner end user tune : skunk 2 down pipe : custom ebonized oak wood floor trunk : :lol: :lol: :lol:

jman64cola

Re: DIY 3rd high mount brake light 5 way led taillights

by jman64cola » December 25th, 2014

08 accord coupe EX-L NAV Manuel 5 speed
mods: Enkei gp5 18x8 : 3p air lift : Greddy cat back exhaust : j-power rear camber kit : sti lip : mugen rep grill : trunk and roof lip spoiler: H & R 25 mm spacers in rear: ebay intake : k tuner end user tune : skunk 2 down pipe : custom ebonized oak wood floor trunk : :lol: :lol: :lol:

coolblue

Re: DIY 3rd high mount brake light 5 way led taillights

by coolblue » December 25th, 2014

Thanks for sharing man...

Just I need the those red/white strip led :D , I have the module lol :D
Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I4
Belize Blue Pearl
Instagram • kulblue
Build Thread • CoolBlue™
FaceBook • CoolBlue™