footwell lighting....................
Show off your custom retrofit, interior lights, backup cameras, or head units! We want to see how you wired your electronics up! Sponsored by TheRetrofitSource

teezythakidd

Re: footwell lighting....................

by teezythakidd » December 15th, 2014

does it have to be a specific gauge? i have a spool of 18awg wire but i feel like its too thick
"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein

teezythakidd

footwell lighting....................

by teezythakidd » January 21st, 2015

UPDATE

I finally frickin' did it. Woke up this morning and said "I'm gonna stop procrastinating!"

I had everything wired up, and hanging on my door coat rack pretty much since I started this thread lmao. It's been really cold out the past month or so, and I've been taking different vacations and trips, so I didn't have much time to knock out this project... until today. Not to mention that the adhesive backing on the strips kinda dried out from sitting for so long haha.

Anyway... I wrapped the strip I wanted in the passenger-side footwell onto a wire hanger,!pulled back one of the left-side panels in the passenger-side footwell so I could sorta see what I was doing, and pulled it through, removing the hanger afterward.

Next, came the mounting/sticking. Long story short, I managed to stick the passenger-side strip under the AC unit (or whatever it is) without a problem. The driver-side one... I stuck on the metal brace/bracket that holds the steering column (or IS the steering column lol), not realizing that the lower dash panel/cover would then obscure any output from the lights... not to mention that the adhesive was already like.. barely strong enough to begin with. It stuck on the metal brace, but I had to take it off and reposition it. Currently, it is sitting on the bottom lip of the lower dash panel/cover... bound to fall off at any given moment lol. I need to get an epoxy or double-sided tape so I can have a more reliable rig.

The strips are daisy-chained through/behind the center console via a 5050 (single-color) LED strip connector. I actually had to wrap the leads of one of the strips around the pins of one side of the connector (passenger side I believe) because I cut one of the ends... or something. I don't remember lmao.

On the power side (driver side), the strip is connected to an IR LED control module (just a simple inline thing; one side goes to a/the strip, and the other goes to power and ground/negative). Power end is connected to an add-a-circuit. Replaced the 7.5A accessory fuse (#13 I believe) with another 7.5A fuse + 5A security fuse. Grounded to a screw just behind the lower dash panel/cover just on the lower left hand side via a ring terminal that I initially thought was too large lol.

The purpose of me using the IR module was to have total control of when the lights turn on/off. The module also has a "mode", speed, and dim function.

Aaaaannnnd here's the [practically] finalized result!! Until I can re-aim and properly stick both of them! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein