I need sound system help!! JL AUDIO
Show off your custom retrofit, interior lights, backup cameras, or head units! We want to see how you wired your electronics up! Sponsored by TheRetrofitSource

milmast

I need sound system help!! JL AUDIO

by milmast » November 25th, 2014

So I have an 09 accord coupe EX-L no navi and I have 2 JL 8W7AE's in my trunk with the oem subwoofer removed. I have my doors sound deadened, along with my entire trunk and trunk lid, my roof liner, and rear deck.

I want to upgrade my speakers as they are farrrr behind the capacity of my subs. I have low end for days, but when it comes to my mids and highs, the oem speakers can't keep up. I want to stick with JL as they do make great stuff and I am yet to have a problem with them.

Now for the speakers, I don't want anything crap, but I really don't need THE BEST. I was looking at getting some C2-650's or C3-650s. The price for the C2's are about $140 where the C3's are about double that price, $280.

I have a few questions. Are those good speakers? Should I run an amp for my speakers? What amp should I run? What door adapters should I get? How do you wire them up?

I know a decent amount about cars and the mechanical aspect of it, but when it comes to sound systems, I'm pretty much a noob. Help guys Thanks!!
Static Black Accord Coupe
Image milmast YouTube => http://goo.gl/1BsLa9
Image milmast Instagram => http://goo.gl/8MWPBK

Bigwilly

Re: I need sound system help!! JL AUDIO

by Bigwilly » November 26th, 2014

If you want the best there is no competition with the JL audio ZR series. Hands down the best speakers on the market in my opinion. Had a set in my old accord and really regret selling them with the car. Put these up front, then either the c2 or c3 would be fine for the rears. I ran just ZRs for a long time paired with 2 13W6V2's and honestly the ZRs held there own for front sound stage but if you sat in the rear all you heard was bass. I ended up putting in C2s just for a rear sound stage.
ZRs are not cheap tho and will run you about a grand for just the speakers. As for the amp, you would be fine running a slash series 300/4 .

milmast

by milmast » November 26th, 2014

I can find the ZR's for about 600 for the set brand new, but I will still need to drop 300 for C3's for the rear, along with an amp. I bought 2 8W7AE's for the rear along with a HD1200/1, a $240 JL wiring kit, and got someone to build a box and wire it for me. I spent a lot of money on the subs, but now need something good up front. I would rather not spend too much if I could. I could buy ZR's but thats a lot of money..

How did the C2's do in the back? I was thinking about running C5's in the front and maybe C3's in the rear. What do you think?
Static Black Accord Coupe
Image milmast YouTube => http://goo.gl/1BsLa9
Image milmast Instagram => http://goo.gl/8MWPBK

YoLowAccord

by YoLowAccord » November 26th, 2014

im running alpine type r components in front and type r coaxials in the rear paired with an alpine PDX amp. Im pretty happy with my setup...

Bigwilly

by Bigwilly » November 26th, 2014

The c2s were fine. You couldn't hear them over the ZRs in the front but it made my passengers happy. C5 aren't bad either but the newer versions have silk dome tweeters instead of the aluminum tweets like the previous versions and the ZRs still have the aluminum domes. It really does make a huge difference in the upper high notes. If it were me I would save up and get the ZRs and amp for now and worry about rear speakers later when you have more cash