replacing tail lights... (help lol)
Show off your custom retrofit, interior lights, backup cameras, or head units! We want to see how you wired your electronics up! Sponsored by TheRetrofitSource

teezythakidd

replacing tail lights... (help lol)

by teezythakidd » November 22nd, 2014

but do you guys have any tips/secrets on removing these suckers?
IMG_4088.JPG

i managed to remove ONE (on the opposite side) the "correct" way by unscrewing the actual screw piece and pulling the rivet(?) piece out. but i had to yank the other thing out because it wouldn't "unscrew"... and neither will the two on this side.

i should also mention that i did successfully replace that tail light bulb, but i can't get those two clips/rivets/screws/whatever to go back inside... i don't want to use brute force because i don't want to break them (provided that they're not broken enough already... which they probably already are) so just pushing them in wasn't working. i also tried unscrewing the screw from the rivet but the screw wouldn't............ unscrew! lol.. maybe i'm doing something wrong, or maybe i'm just tripping because its cold as heck out. lol.

anyways... any tips, suggestions on how to remove/replace these things is very welcomed!
"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein

Brian

Re: replacing tail lights... (help lol)

by Brian » November 23rd, 2014

To get it out if you can't screw it out is to push down the bottom piece while pulling the screw part up and unscrewing it at the same time.

mcbtay
Site Admin

by mcbtay » November 23rd, 2014

Yeah I didn't have any trouble out of these at all when putting my Eagle Eye LED tails in. Using a normal screw driver the all screwed right out, and then was able to pry the "rivet" piece out gently with a small screwdriver.

teezythakidd

by teezythakidd » November 24th, 2014

it's actually gonna be relatively warm today and tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot again at some point! I was impatient because of the cold haha

Rashman94

by Rashman94 » November 24th, 2014

man i cant tell you how many nails i have broken over time constanstly removing these damn fender liner clips and rivets. but yea just unscrew a little bit and then pop the top up with a flat head and simultaneously use your nail right under and lift the bottom part. or if its really bad take off the top part entirely and then sue the flat head to remove the bottom part. i just recently changed my taillights to the Altezzas also. theres two screws in both rear wheel wells holding the bumper, then two clips underneath the car, two where you open the trunk and then there may be two more under the screws in the fender. then unbolt the taillights from inside the trunk. there should be four bolts i believe. or two i dont remember. after you remove the bumper there will be two bolts hidden right under the exterior of the taillights, which were previously hidden, unscrew those, and the bulbs, and voila.
Tints- 35/20%
Roof/trunk spoiler
Altezza Spyder tails
K&N typhoon SRI intake
Megan Racing Strut Bar
Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers
18x8 A-Tech wheels/nankangs
Ktuner
StopTech rotors/pads

buchter24

by buchter24 » November 25th, 2014

teezythakidd wrote:it's actually gonna be relatively warm today and tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot again at some point! I was impatient because of the cold haha

I was also impatient and replaced my rear bumper in the cold... needless to say i broke all my clips
Honda Accord EX-L Sedan i4
Vip Modular VX910
IG: TheGoodBook_ter

teezythakidd

by teezythakidd » November 25th, 2014

buchter24 wrote:
teezythakidd wrote:it's actually gonna be relatively warm today and tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot again at some point! I was impatient because of the cold haha

I was also impatient and replaced my rear bumper in the cold... needless to say i broke all my clips

LOL!!! Its around 50º today so it was optimal about an hour ago. I managed to take the screws out of the clips I had already taken out, and replace them properly. To get the other two out (on the left side), what I did was put a flathead screwdriver inside the space between the screw and the clip and pried up a bit to where I had enough leverage to unscrew it with my hand and pull it out. In doing this, the clip itself popped out, making things 100x easier. Took the old bulb out, put bulb grease on the new one, put it back in, and put everything else back together. I also had to tuck the trunk lining back under the rubber seal for the trunk.. it looked tacky without doing it. Which reminds me... I have to do this for the right side :x

Thanks you guys for all the tips! :D