xm antenna swap?
Exterior and body mods. Lip kits, custom bumpers, different grilles, Inspire conversions... the list goes on!

teezythakidd

xm antenna swap?

by teezythakidd » January 27th, 2015

is it possible to replace the shark fin antenna that comes with our cars (those equipped with XM) with one for/from a different car? i just want a bigger, more "present" antenna. like those on BMWs and the new Hyundais.
"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein

ricerocket

Re: xm antenna swap?

by ricerocket » January 29th, 2015

It will work. Can't guarantee that it will be a direct plug-n-play, but all an antenna really is, is one really long single piece of wire. Even if the connector on your car is different from the new XM antenna, if you know how to solder it's a pretty easy custom job.

teezythakidd

Re: xm antenna swap?

by teezythakidd » January 29th, 2015

ricerocket wrote:It will work. Can't guarantee that it will be a direct plug-n-play, but all an antenna really is, is one really long single piece of wire. Even if the connector on your car is different from the new XM antenna, if you know how to solder it's a pretty easy custom job.

true.. cool. i'll look into actual replacement XM shark fin antennae then. thanks!
"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein

teezythakidd

xm antenna swap?

by teezythakidd » April 4th, 2015

Just decided to do some research on this, and I noticed something interesting. Obvious, but interesting. According to the diagram, the shark fin from a 2G TSX (probably a 1G TSX and 4G TL as well) appear to be exactly the same, connection/connector-wise. So maybe it is practical, theoretically speaking, for this to be a direct swap. Even the screw (#7 on the diagram) is the same! As well as pretty much everything else! Not so sure about from manufacturers outside of Honda/Acura, and I don't care lol. The TSX' shark fin is cool to me. The thing that sucks, is that the TSX' shark fin is nearly 4x the cost of one for a Honda! Lol so one of these days I'm gonna head to a junkyard in hope to find a TSX with a shark fin still intact for a bit cheaper. Another downside to this "mod" is that [IIRC] I'll have to remove the whole headliner, which isn't a "big" job per se but requires much more labor for such a minor change in lieu of the aesthetic. But I'm willing to do it lol. Fortunately I do have an XM subscription so I won't have to worry about drilling any holes or anything. There's a how-to on DA for installing an XM antenna from scratch. I'll keep you guys updated!

Side note, check out the pics for reference to the diagrams.
TSX
The XM antenna is #6!

Accord (8G)
XM antenna is #6 here as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Not having much luck with finding the part any cheaper at a junkyard (via online inventories). I may just have to take the loss and buy the part brand new, eventually.