DOOM's buildie
What all have you modified on your Accord?

DOOM

DOOM's buildie

by DOOM » December 1st, 2014

Year One

My build mission statement (silly but it helps me not go too crazy with mods that may be headaches in the end):
Since this is my daily and a family car, preserving the reliability that was a reason for its initial purchase is essential; but I also find it necessaqry to define my car from all the late-middle aged women who seem to roll 8th gen sedans. Likewise, I favor an enhanced OEM look over attention hungry flashy cosmetic mods (and added exterior plastic must be kept to a minimum!), so that’s the context of the mods I’ve done and the couple that are left to finish...

Purchased March 1, 2011. 35% 3M tint x5 a few days later. At the time I thought I wanted a wing spoiler (had one on my former Civic) and the dealer effectively gave it to me for free, but later on that spoiler would give me headaches.

I wanted to get a clear bra done ASAP so at only 30 miles I had a DuraShield+ clear bra put onto the front (DuraShield+ was an acquisition of 3M and just as good I had heard). Unfortunately installation (by the owner of the business no less) was less than ideal. I gave him a chance to fix his fingerprints on the tacky side and a multitude of bubbles, to which his solution was popping them with a pin and coloring the imperfections with a black sharpie. We fought. He yelled. I won a chargeback. But this was not the end…

I discovered CHH and bought all the OEM accessories that I felt the car should have had from the factory. At this point I told myself no modding and this would be it. Wellllllll maybe wheels but that's it!
Honda OEM Accessory Cargo Net 08L96-TA0-100
Honda OEM Accessory Console Mat 83452-TA0-A01
Honda OEM Accessory Console Tray 83451-TA0-A01ZA
Honda OEM Accessory Interior Illumination 08E10-TA0-110A
Honda OEM Accessory Trunk Tray 08U45-TA0-100
Honda OEM Accord Crosstour Leather Shift Knob 54130-TB0-A81ZA
Full LED Interior, LED Reverse and High-Mount Brake Light
Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra DRL/High Beam Headlamp Bulbs
Phillips HIR2 9012 Gen-III Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs (Retrofitted)
Husky Liners 98401 Black Custom Fit Front and Second Seat Floor Liner Set
SafeFit Kick Mats Black
Brodin ProClip Center Mount 854098 with iPhone4 Tilt Swivel 511178

Yeah that didn't last long. I’d always liked 5 spoke designed wheels so I landed on a set of 19” TSW Vortexes in hypersilver wrapped in Nitto 555s and McGard spline lugs. Look, ma, I’m a 4x4 (damn you, Honda).

Every time my son would climb in and out of the car with half of the sandbox in his shoes I couldn’t help but think about the could-be scratches on the door sills. I found an Amazon seller who makes custom sill protectors, make/model/color specific. They have a gel, semi-rubbery texture but have resisted scratching completely.

I wanted to add some depth to the tone of my first V6, so I landed on the status quo for 8th gens – dual Magnaflow 14832s. In retrospect I may have gone with Greddy or Megan since their welds are cleaner, but to this day I have no complaints about the Magnas and there is no drone. I did purchase a Megan test pipe at the same time but ended up not installing.

The DuraShield+ clear bra fiasco finally is resolved! In anticipation of discovering more damage than was visible, I had the best body shop in the area remove the film as I watched… The DuraShield+ installer used some sort of harsh cleaning agent that bonded the bra to the clear coat. To add insult, razor etchings were left in the hood where he had freehanded some cuts too deeply. Oh, and I can’t forget the dozens of pin pricks left in the surface too. The hood of my three month car needed to be completely refinished. Yay for $0.00 deductible insurance!

Next – ye olde shadowspeed roof spoiler. Even though it's gone this is still one of my favorite bargain mods since it helps distinguish the car from its stock counterparts on the street.

Paid it off... I did Honda's 0.9% APR financing so the purchase would appear on my credit but I knew that I didn't want to modify a car too much that wasn't mine. Thee payments later:

Replica Inspire motorized folding signal mirrors came next. At the time legitimate JDM/TDM mirrors were difficult to source and group buy sources had dried up; so I gambled on replicas. I ended up needing to buy two pair to actually have two functioning mirrors but they did the job and looked great doing it. Replica sellers are a-holes who hide behind language barriers of their own creation lol. Oh and this mod set the trend of me needing to do each expensive mod 2-3 times. Awesome.

I started posting on M8G and my eyes were opened to the necessity of a drop. With consideration for Iowa's winters and my desire not to slam (or so I thought) the car I landed on the Honda HFP suspension for the coupe. Net drop after some break in was about 1.25” front, 1.5” rear.

Never a fan of the horizontal chrome strips on the hoods of some Hondas, I purchased a replacement upper chrome molding and had it painted body color and clear bra’d to promote adhesion and resist damage.

Eagle Eyes arrived. OEM garnish on a boat ride form Japan.

Takeda SRI added to my filthy engine bay.

Piano black pillar covers added and removed the same day. Rough edges and a violation of the no added exterior plastic rule.

Current state eight months in:

Here’s a big one – JDM Inspire trunk garnish and Eagle Eye LED tails and trunk lights. Sourcing a legitimate garnish was not easy or cheap, but the rear of the car is completely transformed for the better.

After learning about retrofit headlights I couldn’t say no (Morimoto Minis with WeatherTech LampGards protection). Note to therapist: lighting addiction officially started.

Pedals.

CrossTour manifold and cover assembly added.

Progress 22mm rear sway bar added, along with an Ultra Racing 19mm front strut tower sway bar.

SPC two arm kit (camber and toe) to bring the HFP drop back into spec from -3.2 degrees. Later I added the third (trailing) arms when I went lower.

After going back and forth on the idea for a while I finally bought some white LED DRLs with an enclosed resistor setup to help prevent any damage to surrounding engine bay components. They looked great, but after a 3 hour drive the resistors were too hot to touch, which seemed dangerous so I removed them for some Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs to match the color of the projectors (fogs too).

Moved on from my 19” TSWs to a staggered 20” Vossen CV3 setup in matte silver, again in Nitto 555s. Calipers hit with white G2.

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof | Hex Mini/FXR/Fogs Retrofits | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED | UltraGauge | Takeda | JET MAF | Magnaflow | SprintBooster | UR/Progress | EBC | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe

DOOM

Re: DOOM's buildie

Year Two

To match the Inspire mirrors and the Eagle Eye tails I bought VLEDs’ platinum series bulbs. VLEDs premium bulbs aren’t cheap but their output is always great.

I knocked out some smaller mods on the way to the next large one: Tao Designs grounding kit, leather parking brake cover, black JDM-style steering wheel emblem, etc…

Since the acquisition of my replica Inspire mirrors the genuine JDM mirrors came available on eBay. I sourced the switch from an Aussie friend and ended up buying two pairs of the legit JDM mirrors on eBay (thanks to the seller confusing polished metal metallic with black). The mirrors are slightly smaller than their replicas and are easily double the weight. OEM quality, baby.

My SprintBooster V2 throttle remapper was next. This chip interfaces into the throttle wiring harness and changes the response according to its various settings – it does not hog your OBDII port. While the SprintBooster does not add horses, but it reduces pedal travel and makes driving more fun.

Modulo kit front, Mugen replica rear, and JDM blackened exterior emblems added. I actually prefer the subtle differences of the replica rear to the authentic Mugen counterpart (round exhaust ports on the replica to better contour to the dual Magnaflows) so I decided to keep that piece replica and purchase authentic sides. The Modulo front is authentic and was the only non-custom available front body kit for the 8.5 gen. Since my purchase Modulo replicas have crept up on eBay, but I’ve learned my lesson about replicas.

The wing spoiler had been working my nerves for the past year – my biggest mod regret. Unfortunately, the wing was mounted by seven holes in my trunk lid so I thought it was to be a life sentence. Some good news came that the more conservative 11-12 deck lid spoiler sufficiently covers these holes (slightly modified) so I bit.

Added a 3M 5% windshield visor as well.

Installed a JET MAF sensor upgrade. 600 whp. Or not. But maybe so?

After seeing how good drops lower than the HFP look and wrestling with the idea of going lower, I finally bit. I'm lame for denying it for so long.

I had hoped for a smarter computer in this car… I like knowing tire pressure, economy, voltage, etc on demand and Bluetooth/WIFI options weren’t cutting it. Ultra Gauge. Still bummed out that our OEM display looks like a cheap digital clock.

Added a 4-ply silicone coupler to my Takeda SRI with t-bolts as a preventive upgrade to existing hardware.

0 awg Knukonceptz power lead to complete the Big 3 (with the Tao kit).

OEM half mask for road trips.

My OEM interior illumination was super weak so I added a LEDGlow kit.

Chilled with the Chicago people for a bit…

I do adjust my damper settings from time to time and taking two car seats out for a few clicks was no fun. Problem solved:

Moon roof tint. Don’t question me.

I like options with my gadgets. I had an iSimple in this car early on (piggybacks onto the XM button and terminates with an Apple dock cable) that feeds into the cradle, and the OEM USB draws from a 160 GB iPod classic; but I wanted a convenient wireless option especially for passengers. The new BlackBerry music gateway is tiny and provides one touch pairing of any device with my stereo.

Met a local Accord owner who has camera skills. I love this shot.

And finally my second retrofit was done and installed. Quad retro this time with Xb halos with an integrated delay relay so the HIDs don’t attempt to ignite as I crank the starter. Gen 1 of the Xb halos though so bad things happened... The smaller halos were not pure white and eventually the halos developed small dead spots. Hi, let's do it all again.

Aries 3D Carpet FloorLiners (way better than my old Huskies).

Brakes help you stop. EBC brake upgrade.

Battery upgrade.

Wanted more depth to the Magnaflows so I added a Vibrant resonator. Meh. Decent at first but developed a mindnumbing drone at 2k RPM.

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof | Hex Mini/FXR/Fogs Retrofits | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED | UltraGauge | Takeda | JET MAF | Magnaflow | SprintBooster | UR/Progress | EBC | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe

DOOM

Year Three

Sarona roof spoiler. At the time mine was the only one I knew of... Easy but nerveracking install with urethane.

Inspire trunk boot arm covers. *Technically not in violation of the no plastic rule since it's inside and OEM somewhere else in the world ok?

Fog light regtro? Ready set go.

Revised quad retro... Replaced the faulty halos with the Gen 2 Xb halos, swapped out the 3M vinyl'd reflector plastic with clear JDM style, and added RGB demon eyes.

Chicago Accord playdate.

...While there I added custom pinstripe to Base's Accord. Haters fall back pls.

Add 3mm spacers. Placebo effect does exist with cars. I eventually took them off because the bore was slightly larger than 64.1mm and didn't want a non-hubcentric balance issue.

Color shift engine cover.

WIFI upgrade to the demon eyes.

Bought some Genney wheels for winter use.

I had been checking for eyelids for a while but the Sarona ones are way too large and the eBay eyelids block too much output. Found these and they're perfect. *Plastic rule violation.

Painted the rotor hats. I don't know why I'm like this.

Dash cam to catch the crazies in panoramic HD. Since the photo I blacked out the chrome lens ring so it is virtually invisible from the outside. I also have a charge/deplete battery inline to allow the camera to continue filming for up to two hours after the car is turned off.

Finally replaced my Vibrant with a Magnaflow, effectively having pieced together the Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Far superior resonator.

H&R 25mm spacers for the Genny wheels. Also added spline mini lugs to completely avoid any chance of rounding the nuts. My winter rears have better fitment than my summer wheels. Ok what?

DOOM

Year Four ...and we're getting kind of tired of modding this car

A new retrofit about a year in the making.

And a new face - Modulo replica color matched and with black JDM emblem.

So what's next? Air is do-able but I'm not convinced that it's a wise decision considering my winter climate. I've been eying better wheels but struggle with the decision since my interest in continuing to mod... Next I'll probably do an RV6 J-pipe and delay the inevitable as long as I can.

DOOM

Forgot to add list: Ray's lugs

coolblue

by coolblue » December 1st, 2014

Niiice Build.... Clean and Sick Black Sedan man... Overall 10 10 10 Two Thumps Up! ;)
Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I4
Belize Blue Pearl
Instagram • kulblue
Build Thread • CoolBlue™
FaceBook • CoolBlue™

Bigwilly

by Bigwilly » December 1st, 2014

Sick build doom! Lots of attention to detail. Absolute beauty sedan

mikeyblu

by mikeyblu » December 2nd, 2014

rice ball!!! haha don't do air man, i hear lots of stories with people having issues with a bag popping, lines freezing, etc. i know some people who keep spare airbag struts in thier trunk lol.

and that front end i think looks much nicer! looks like me and doom are following the same exact trend, to keep everything as an enhanced OEM look nice and classy and nothing over the top flashy. IMO thats better then trying to show off and adding everything you possibly can to the car

naziz93

by naziz93 » December 3rd, 2014

Always been one of my favorite builds to follow!

authenicc

by authenicc » December 5th, 2014

such an inspiration! wt year is this btw? 09?