J32A heads on J35Z3 block.
Engine and performance mods to make your Accord more racekar.

Cragopotomus

J32A heads on J35Z3 block.

by Cragopotomus » October 14th, 2015

I've heard that the J32A engine's heads will swap over to our J35Z3 block. The purpose of this is of course to get rid of the goofy design on the J35 heads which would allow us to add headers and a turbo. Is there anyone with a little more engine expertise who could shed light on this and also what other mods may have to be done to get this working?

Apple Slicer

Re: J32A heads on J35Z3 block.

by Apple Slicer » October 18th, 2015

I've definitely looked into doing this type of thing, and the conclusion is that all Honda J engine heads seem to be able to fit on different blocks including ours.

However.

I am hesitant to change the heads because the cam design is different, and II don't think they have all of the features of the new j engines. Also the exhaust ports are pretty small because they are for a smaller engine.

You also have to take into consideration that if you source new heads, they will cost a lot, and even if they have all the parts, you may need new valves, springs, cleaning, ect. In the end, its an expensive endeavour.

Which brings me to my current plan. I read a long while ago that a machine shop could grind off the integrated exhaust port, and weld in some traditional header ports. Then it's just a matter of getting the car to a competent exhaust fabricator and having shorty headers made (obviously long tube headers don't fit on a transverse engine particularly* if you want them to be equal length. Which you do. They need to be actually or you won't exact the maximum power and efficiency of the custom headers)

The negatives of doing any* thing to the heads is that emissions will prove to be a bitch since the primary cats are gone. I guess you could get a couple new ones and relocate them, but this just adds to the expense. Not to mention that having custom work done means your accord will be out of order until the job is all buttoned up, which I estimate to take a couple weeks at least.

Cragopotomus

by Cragopotomus » October 18th, 2015

I have no delusions on how expensive it will likely be. I also plan to have this car for a very long time, so if I have to save and wait a couple of years, so be it. I knew emissions would be tricky, but here in MO, I can't remember one time where I wasn't able to pass inspection, even when I probably shouldn't have. Oh the perks of small town living. This seems like the most plausible way to make forced induction possible. I know a lot of kids get one these sights and start talking about FI without a clue as to what they're talking about, but I'm well aware of the costs that most don't think of, like custom pistons to help lower compression, possible workarounds for the cam if VTEC isn't compatible with a new set of heads, or the cost of custom C&C if I have to remove the current exhaust port. I'm not promising anything right away, but I have plans to make this car my work of art. It may not be this year or the next or even in 5 years, but I'm going to try to find a way to make this possible. Thank you for your response, Apple Slicer. It seems pretty informed an you didn't belittle me or tell me to sell my car and buy a RWD as I see a lot of people do on forums. You've made my first post enjoyable.

Apple Slicer

by Apple Slicer » October 18th, 2015

I'm on the same page as you. I only brought up cost because it surprised me a bit when delving into it, and already taking into the account of my current partial part list below. I plan to also take this platform to some crazy new levels. There aren't many people who are willing to invest in such a project, but there are a few of us.

-supercharger (with custom brackets, intercooler, piping)
-pistons (needed for lowered C/R)
-connecting rods (weakest link)
- forged crank (doesn't live well past 400 hp crank over time)
-larger bored throttle body
-new valves, springs, (3 angle valve job all ceramic coated by swaintech)
-battery relocation (including wires, fuses, billet box)
-custom true dual exhaust with an x pipe (check mine out at the other forums: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/217-p ... meter.html )

I am currently on stage 2 of 3 self imposed stages on my exhaust build. Next is to deal with the heads and having real headers made. It's all done because I want to supercharge. Turbos make awesome power on j engines though but I personally prefer supercharger powerbands.