Who would like to boost their 8th Gen?
Engine and performance mods to make your Accord more racekar.

ivan_j35z3

Who would like to boost their 8th Gen?

by ivan_j35z3 » April 20th, 2015

I've been trying to convince Hondata and CT Engineering to make a tuning solution for us and a boost option. Although V6 Accord's has nice bit of power already, imagine how it sound be with a nice safe Supercharger. That sexy supercharged noise sounding on that large V6 engine! I know. Anyways, Hondata skipped our gen for tuning and went straight to the 9th gen tuning (https://www.hondata.com/) because they claim it calls for better "performance" although the 9th gen Accord's have slightly better performance with the direct injection, specs are almost dead similar. What bothers me is how they made a Supercharger for the V6 J Series TL but not for our J Series Accord's. I don't get it.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to see how many people would be interested of purchasing a boosting solution if they made one for our cars? I'm guessing it would cost around $5,500 to around $6,000 for the Supercharger with the tuning. I'm just guessing it would be around that because the tuning for the TL is $695 and the Supercharger is just under $5,000 for 65HP to the wheel or maybe more. I'm going to make a list with everyone's name that would be interested of buying and send it over to Hondata and CT Engineering or at least give them a head count of the possible demand. Maybe they can see the demand in it and possibly make one. Let's see how far the list goes! I know if they really want to make something for our cars then they will.

Specs of our V6 with other similar specs that have boost solutions

J35Z3

2008-2012 Honda Accord V6 6MT coupe
Displacement: 3,471 cc (211.8 cu in)
Bore and stroke: 89.0 mm (3.5 in) x 93.0 mm (3.7 in)
Compression: 10.0:1
Power, torque: 271 hp (202 kW) @ 6200 rpm; 251 lb·ft (340 N·m) @ 5000 rpm
Valvetrain: 24v SOHC VTEC
Fuel control: Multi-point fuel injection; PGM-FI

J35Z2 - Variable Cylinder Management

2008-2012 Honda Accord (AUTO coupe)
Displacement: 3,471 cc (211.8 cu in)
Bore and stroke: 89.0 mm (3.5 in) x 93.0 mm (3.7 in)
Compression: 10.5:1
Power, torque: 271 hp (202 kW) @ 6200 rpm; 254 lb·ft (344 N·m) @ 5000 rpm
Valvetrain: 24v SOHC i-VTEC
Fuel control: Multi-point fuel injection; PGM-FI
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The J35A displaced 3,471 cc (3.471 L; 211.8 cu in) and is an SOHC VTEC design. Bore is 89 mm (3.5 in) and stroke is 93 mm (3.7 in). Output was 210 hp (157 kW) and 229 lb·ft (310 N·m)for the J35A1; 240 hp (179 kW) and 253 lb·ft (343 N·m) (5800/4400 rpm) for the J35A3; 240 hp (179 kW) and 242 lb·ft (328 N·m) (5500/4500 rpm) for the J35A4.

(CAN'T FIND THE COMPRESSION ON THIS MOTOR)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

H22A

Bore × Stroke: 87.0 mm × 90.70 mm (3.425 in × 3.571 in)
Displacement: 2,157 cc (131.6 cu in)
Valve Configuration: DOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
Type: In-line 4 cylinder, aluminum block and head
Compression ratio: 10.0-10.6:1 (North America); 10.0-11.0:1 (Europe); 10.6-11.0:1 (Japan)
Max power: 185-220 hp
Redline: 7200 - 7600 rpm
Rev Cut: 7400 - 8000 rpm
Engine Control System: Honda Systems PGM-FI with port fuel injection
Valve Gear: Belt-driven dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, variable timing and lift[2]

92-96 versions use closed-deck blocks but FRM liners were used in 94-96, while the 97-01 versions used open-deck blocks with FRM liners.

ivan_j35z3

Re: Who would like to boost their 8th Gen?

by ivan_j35z3 » April 20th, 2015

You know I'm interested! 1

jman64cola

by jman64cola » April 20th, 2015

I've always been interested but for the k24z3 but the cost of it is becoming harder to reach. So I don't want to say I'd be buying it. Also most on here already have ktuner but boost suport isn't released yet.
08 accord coupe EX-L NAV Manuel 5 speed
mods: Enkei gp5 18x8 : 3p air lift : Greddy cat back exhaust : j-power rear camber kit : sti lip : mugen rep grill : trunk and roof lip spoiler: H & R 25 mm spacers in rear: ebay intake : k tuner end user tune : skunk 2 down pipe : custom ebonized oak wood floor trunk : :lol: :lol: :lol:

ivan_j35z3

by ivan_j35z3 » April 21st, 2015

jman64cola wrote:I've always been interested but for the k24z3 but the cost of it is becoming harder to reach. So I don't want to say I'd be buying it. Also most on here already have ktuner but boost suport isn't released yet.

Thanks for the reply bro

kevtheo1191

by kevtheo1191 » April 21st, 2015

I think it would be a good time boosting the V6, but I'm scared to find out what all it would cost at the end of the day between supercharger/turbo, trans upgrades, forged internals, fueling, etc.

ivan_j35z3

by ivan_j35z3 » April 22nd, 2015

kevtheo1191 wrote:I think it would be a good time boosting the V6, but I'm scared to find out what all it would cost at the end of the day between supercharger/turbo, trans upgrades, forged internals, fueling, etc.

You're right. That's why I would prefer Supercharge for the less maintenance. I'm up for the challange

ivan_j35z3

by ivan_j35z3 » April 24th, 2015

Bump

Apple Slicer

by Apple Slicer » April 26th, 2015

I certainly would. I have posted a thread over at the drive accord forums like this one, but its a ghost town over there for "true performance interest". Most people care only for floormats. A majority of "performance threads" are related to muffler sound or intake sound and throttle body spacers.

There just isnt good enough interest for major companies to invest in actual "race" parts for our cars. But this isnt really a problem per say. It just requires that we have more custom solutions designed for our cars individually.

For tuning
I have a fear that because of the lack of interest in performance gains, that Ktuner wont complete his tune allowing boost tables. He still hasnt released anything for larger fuel injectors, which is also vital for boosting, and has even stated he doesnt intend to give more tuning options unless people are interested, but he has also noted that he only has seen a couple of people who want to go this route. If he doesnt give us more, then we are somewhat back to square one, right? I dont know enough on the subject to really go into detail, but I will guess that perhaps that "AEM FIC" controller may come into play for those of us who want to boost, but its hard to say whether this alone would be enough. Something tells me the answer is no. :? We can continue to wait for him to give further news, but he doesnt release information on what hes currently doing, so it may be next week, next year, or perhaps never that he updates the software.

As for actually boosting, a speed shop should be able to fabricate what we need.

For Turbo

A twin turbo setup could be built by making a modified PCD that mounts a turbo on each side of the V6. There are actually builds like this. Do a google image search for j35 turbo... Only issue is the cost of this. A single turbo may be hard to fit somewhere without an elaborate and expensive custom turbo exhaust manifold. So either way youll pay for this. Not to mention its hard to say how well the engine would act around this much additional heat buildup in the engine bay. This car is notorious for acting very strange and flat out slow when it gets hot.

For supercharger

This is the route I think I want to go. A vortech supercharger is centrifugal. If you dont know what that means, its basically a belt driven turbocharger. Not as good as a Twin screw superchager by any means, but should give a nice amount of mostly top end, shouldnt be too expensive, and better yet should be higher in efficiency and low in heat buildup. So fuel mileage shouldnt suffer much. I can see mounting this either at the top next to the power steering pump or down low by the A/C compressor. The main cost of this route will be a custom CNC'd mounting bracket to install the supercharger, as well as proper mathematics to ensure it spools at the correct speed.

Twin screw superchargers just have no where to fit unless you cut your hood, but this to me would look incredibly rice...the engine is obviously sideways so everyone who knows anything about cars would know its FWD driven. Also the cost of this would be insane for a custom intake manifold and all kinds of custom parts. BTW, CT Engineering, the one they offer for the TL? Its a roots type....so very inefficient and hot. It apparently can fit our cars. But IDK if its servicable, upgradable, ect. I just dont see it as a viable solution by any means... Its not much better cost wise vs another option sitting at 5k to purchase, but it is available for almost immediate implementation into our engines.

Closing thoughts

I think we should wait a little bit. Until maybe June before doing anything drastic regarding having a speed shop jerry rig something in hopes that Ktuner gives us a usable update. It brings me a lot of hope considering A) He has to fix the speed limiter not being disabled B) The tune is still considered "Public beta", and last I asked him about fuel injectors, ect, he used the word "not yet"

I am paying off this car officially 100% on Friday, so next month I will be going crazy on custom mods, starting with true duels, and finally get around to posting a build thread.

ivan_j35z3

by ivan_j35z3 » April 28th, 2015

Apple Slicer wrote:I certainly would. I have posted a thread over at the drive accord forums like this one, but its a ghost town over there for "true performance interest". Most people care only for floormats. A majority of "performance threads" are related to muffler sound or intake sound and throttle body spacers.

There just isnt good enough interest for major companies to invest in actual "race" parts for our cars. But this isnt really a problem per say. It just requires that we have more custom solutions designed for our cars individually.

For tuning
I have a fear that because of the lack of interest in performance gains, that Ktuner wont complete his tune allowing boost tables. He still hasnt released anything for larger fuel injectors, which is also vital for boosting, and has even stated he doesnt intend to give more tuning options unless people are interested, but he has also noted that he only has seen a couple of people who want to go this route. If he doesnt give us more, then we are somewhat back to square one, right? I dont know enough on the subject to really go into detail, but I will guess that perhaps that "AEM FIC" controller may come into play for those of us who want to boost, but its hard to say whether this alone would be enough. Something tells me the answer is no. :? We can continue to wait for him to give further news, but he doesnt release information on what hes currently doing, so it may be next week, next year, or perhaps never that he updates the software.

As for actually boosting, a speed shop should be able to fabricate what we need.

For Turbo

A twin turbo setup could be built by making a modified PCD that mounts a turbo on each side of the V6. There are actually builds like this. Do a google image search for j35 turbo... Only issue is the cost of this. A single turbo may be hard to fit somewhere without an elaborate and expensive custom turbo exhaust manifold. So either way youll pay for this. Not to mention its hard to say how well the engine would act around this much additional heat buildup in the engine bay. This car is notorious for acting very strange and flat out slow when it gets hot.

For supercharger

This is the route I think I want to go. A vortech supercharger is centrifugal. If you dont know what that means, its basically a belt driven turbocharger. Not as good as a Twin screw superchager by any means, but should give a nice amount of mostly top end, shouldnt be too expensive, and better yet should be higher in efficiency and low in heat buildup. So fuel mileage shouldnt suffer much. I can see mounting this either at the top next to the power steering pump or down low by the A/C compressor. The main cost of this route will be a custom CNC'd mounting bracket to install the supercharger, as well as proper mathematics to ensure it spools at the correct speed.

Twin screw superchargers just have no where to fit unless you cut your hood, but this to me would look incredibly rice...the engine is obviously sideways so everyone who knows anything about cars would know its FWD driven. Also the cost of this would be insane for a custom intake manifold and all kinds of custom parts. BTW, CT Engineering, the one they offer for the TL? Its a roots type....so very inefficient and hot. It apparently can fit our cars. But IDK if its servicable, upgradable, ect. I just dont see it as a viable solution by any means... Its not much better cost wise vs another option sitting at 5k to purchase, but it is available for almost immediate implementation into our engines.

Closing thoughts

I think we should wait a little bit. Until maybe June before doing anything drastic regarding having a speed shop jerry rig something in hopes that Ktuner gives us a usable update. It brings me a lot of hope considering A) He has to fix the speed limiter not being disabled B) The tune is still considered "Public beta", and last I asked him about fuel injectors, ect, he used the word "not yet"

I am paying off this car officially 100% on Friday, so next month I will be going crazy on custom mods, starting with true duels, and finally get around to posting a build thread.

Hey man this is awesome stuff! I hear everything your saying man. Even though turbo would be awesome, it would be too much of a headache and maintenance to maintain. I'll just be happy with a direct fit supercharger kit. Good instant power, less heat buildup, and more reliable. I've been trying to convince Hondata and Nate form CT Engineering to make a tune and boost but doesn't seem like they want to.

I didn't know K Tuner has thinking of making something for us? I saw the product but didn't think it was for us. Can you inform me on what's going on with this? I though K Tuner only made stuff for K Series.

Send me a PM Apple Slicer, we got to keep in touch and make this happen for us and for everyone.

Apple Slicer

by Apple Slicer » April 29th, 2015

A few months ago ktuner released a tuner for all 8th and 9th Gen accords both v6 and i4. Auto and manual. Only issue is he has not yet released the program out of public beta so it still lacks fuel Injection sizing and boost tables.

So for the most part we are go for tune. Now it's just a matter of one of us getting the time and money.

Btw: as far as heat concern goes, heat will get us either way. I've read a lot about J builds, and these engines are very susceptible to heat regardless, and superchargers, mostly twin screws vs centrifugal, make a lot of heat like turbos do.