Front Upper Adjustable Ball Joints?? Hitting????
Bags, coilover, and springs. Need rotors or pads? Want to do a BBK conversion?

Jessikat22

Front Upper Adjustable Ball Joints?? Hitting????

by Jessikat22 » March 31st, 2015

Hi there.

Just got done installing some front upper adjustable ball joint, did the alignment and it is perfect.
The nut on the ball joint is hitting the frame when going over bumps a bit hard.

NOTE: I'm pretty low.

Have you guys had this problem too and what have you done to fix it? I was thinking on grinding down the nut a bit and using the air hammer in the area where it hits to make an indentation to make room for travel?

Please let me know. Thanks.

mcbtay
Site Admin

Re: FRONT UPPER ADJUSTABLE BALL JOINTS?? HITTING????

by mcbtay » April 1st, 2015

No need for all caps. Please don't do this in the future. I've updated your post to not be all caps.

This is a known issue with the upper adjustable ball joints. Did you get just the joints and put them into your factory control arms? Or did you get some of the newer control arms that come with the adjustable ball joints pre-installed? For the joints that you just press into your factory control arms, those are known to hit the strut tower metal... Only way to resolve it is to notch (cut a hole) in your engine bay to accommodate the ball joint. Definitely would not recommend grinding the nut on the ball joint itself.