Painted My Interior Trim Pieces!
Show off your interior! Custom seats, aftermarket steering wheels, VIP trays... we want to see it all!

milmast

Painted My Interior Trim Pieces!

by milmast » November 7th, 2014

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Updated May 31st, 2015
****************************************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************************************

Whats up everyone!? So I did a DIY as to how I painted my interior trim pieces. If you're wondering how I did it, give the link a click and give the video a watch :) Please throw a thumbs up too and lemme know if you have any questions!! Thanks in advance :D

The Link to YouTube: DIY: Painting Interior Trim Pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtt_Ucb2vYs

Instead of people usually wrapping their interior trim pieces in a color other than silver, or even the fake carbon fiber wrap, I took the route of taking the time to properly paint my interior pieces. It took me awhile but they turned out really nice!

I first took everything out so I wouldn't risk painting a piece I didn't want painted, and started my thing. I first sanded everything down with 400 grit so the top texture was rough and less glossy than OEM so the primer (Duplicolor Sandable Primer) would adhere. I then used a base colour (red in my case; VHT Caliper paint to match my calipers) to change the colour of the time pieces, then went overtop with my clear coat (Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer) to make it shine and have a deeper look. Put everything back together and called it a day.
* For those of you that are wondering, the rings in my cluster are dipped red, not painted *

Before

Before

Waiting For the Primer to Dry

During

After

After
Last edited by milmast on May 31st, 2015, edited 3 times in total.
Static Black Accord Coupe
Image milmast YouTube => http://goo.gl/1BsLa9
Image milmast Instagram => http://goo.gl/8MWPBK

authenicc

Re: Painted My Interior Trim Pieces!

by authenicc » November 7th, 2014

I like it ! :D

indodarknight

by indodarknight » November 7th, 2014

whoa, looks tight

+++ for creativity

idk if i can rock those color on my car though, ha
:roll: stock 6-6, YAY! / its so SLOW / need a FASTER car / WHEEL whore/ save the MANUAL / in need of BOOST! again... :lol:

datkidfromTO

by datkidfromTO » November 7th, 2014

Great execution, probably would have gone with a slightly more subtle colour myself but it looks good!
IG: @datkidfromTO

2008 Accord Sedan i4 EX-L w/ Nav

ahowell08

by ahowell08 » November 8th, 2014

howd you get your guage cluster RED

coolblue

by coolblue » November 8th, 2014

looks great...
Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I4
Belize Blue Pearl
Instagram • kulblue
Build Thread • CoolBlue™
FaceBook • CoolBlue™

needmoney25

by needmoney25 » November 8th, 2014

Looks good bro, was it easy to take off the pieces on the stearing wheel?

mikeyblu

by mikeyblu » November 8th, 2014

its mr. accord type R boy lol. nice job on the work but its too flashy on the steering wheel. looks like way too much red. the red on the cluster gauges are dope as hell though

i think what you should of done was paint it piano black and put the red suede inserts in the door

indodarknight

by indodarknight » November 8th, 2014

i just notice the red gauge!!! I LOVE IT

i want, any diy write up for it? things to watch for, like not to break certain things?
:roll: stock 6-6, YAY! / its so SLOW / need a FASTER car / WHEEL whore/ save the MANUAL / in need of BOOST! again... :lol:

milmast

by milmast » November 8th, 2014

Thanks guys! The sterring wheel pieces were difficult to get to only because you have to remove the air bag to get access to the screws. You have to be very preicise and TAKE YOUR TIME. There are many small clips inside the steering wheel assembly and if you break one, you could have to worry about getting a new air bag/ new face if it accidentally explodes. HUGE PS - if you're going to do the steering wheel trim, take the negative battery connection off and let the car sit there for AT LEAST half an hour before touching any air bag system. Look up in the service manual how to take out the air bag as I used that as a guide to take mine out.

Now as for the cluster, it wasn't too hard to get to. You have to remove the entire upper steering column trim pieces to get access to it, and then disassemble the entire display to get to the stupid little silver rings. I was scared to take off the needles as I had NO IDEA how to remove them. I started to pull on them and nothing happened. If you can, find a tool like (the following picture) this to take them off. They slide out from the center but may be snug so be careful not to break them. You can't get replacement needles from Honda.... Also, when putting the needles back in the car, try to align them so the speedo, RPM, fuel and temp gauges are all where they should be.

Out of the car

Front plastic cover off

With the Needles off and my Goldfish ;)

Dipped and then back in the car
Static Black Accord Coupe
Image milmast YouTube => http://goo.gl/1BsLa9
Image milmast Instagram => http://goo.gl/8MWPBK