DIY: 09+ Acura TSX AT shift knob installed in 08+ Accord
Here you will find instructional, do-it-yourself guides and general knowledge about the platform.

staro0989

DIY: 09+ Acura TSX AT shift knob installed in 08+ Accord

by staro0989 » November 6th, 2014

I decided after several months to do a write up on how to install an 09+ Acura TSX AT shift knob into an 8th generation Accord. I have had it since April and it works flawlessly and feels great.

Do at your own risk! I will not be held accountable for anything that could potentially go wrong.

Tools:
Phillips head screwdriver
Precision flathead screwdriver (eyeglass screwdriver)
Flathead screwdriver
Dremel

Parts needed:
1-Acura TSX/TL shift knob (08U92-TL2-210 SELECT KNOB - AT)
1-Acura TSX/TL shift boot (54300-TL0-G81ZA BOOT SET, SELECT)
1-Acura TSX/TL knob ring (aka plastic piece around the knob) (54133-TL0-G82ZA RING, PUSH KNOB)
1 or 2-5x8 screws
1 or 2-Rubber washer (must fit 5x8 screws)

Time: ~40-45 min (if you are not afraid of taking things apart and dremeling, when I did it the first time I was scared and then now I can do it quickly)

1. First remove the stock shift knob. Start the car, have the e-brake engaged then move shift knob to D2. This provides better room to remove the shift knob. Start by prying off the plastic screw cover on the front of the shift knob with the Precision flathead screwdriver.

Then remove the 2-5x8 screws with the Phillips head screwdriver and KEEP THEM SAFELY, DO NOT LOSE. I make that known because I lost one of mine, they are very easy to lose. Then slide out the shift knob.

2. Next, remove the center console. Open the power socket on the center console and pull firmly until it releases the clips, then open the 'NOT AN ASHTRAY' and pull firmly until it releases the clips.

Open the lid of the center compartment and with a flathead screwdriver, pry up the two corners of the center console to release the clips.

Now pull up on the power socket cover to release the other clips around it and disconnect the power socket harness before proceeding. Once the harness is disconnected, continue to pull up on the center console to release the other clips, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOSE ANY CLIPS. Don't worry about breaking anything, it is pretty sturdy.

3. Remove the plastic trim around the shifter by pulling the plastic corner pieces from around the hooks and tuck the shift boot (the shift boot has a plastic box at the bottom of it when you receive it, just pry off the staples carefully) underneath, make sure it doesn't interfere with anything. The plastic trim does not require complete removal, and is usually easier to install without complete removal from my experience meaning do not remove the shift light because it is a pain to put back.

Once the boot is set properly, do the reverse order of how you removed everything until before reinstalling the shift knob and it should look like this (please ignore the red arrow):

4. Modify and install the shift knob. To modify the shift knob, use a dremel and dremel the bottom hole out about 3/8 in from the center of the original hole (You can do this on the top hole if so desired but I decided against it as the one screw does the job). Make the area around the new hole so that the screw sits level with the rest of the plastic around it.

Once that is modified you are now ready to install the shift knob by using 1 or 2 5x8 screws with 1 or 2 rubber washers (Use two if you decide on using the top hole). Slide the new shift knob on, and tighten the screw.

Finally, clip the plastic knob ring in to cover the top hole and slide the ring from the boot up until it clicks into place on the shift knob and enjoy! :)

Hope this helps those interested in this modification.

Aaron

Edit: Forgot to add, this is thanks to dexterdog's will to experiment with the shift knob :thmsup:
Last edited by staro0989 on November 12th, 2014, edited 1 time in total.

mcbtay
Site Admin

Re: DIY: 09+ Acura TSX AT shift knob installed in 08+ Accord

by mcbtay » November 6th, 2014

This is a perfect example of the type of post that belongs in this forum. Great writeup and welcome to Our8thGens!

staro0989

by staro0989 » November 6th, 2014

mcbtay wrote:This is a perfect example of the type of post that belongs in this forum. Great writeup and welcome to Our8thGens!

Glad I could contribute. We need to build this database back so we can actually access this information.

mcbtay
Site Admin

by mcbtay » November 6th, 2014

staro0989 wrote:Glad I could contribute. We need to build this database back so we can actually access this information.

You're exactly right. Between all of us, we can do it!

Brian

by Brian » November 12th, 2014

OP should add this detail to their post, might be an important one LOL

These are the part #'s:
08U92-TL2-210 SELECT KNOB - AT
54133-TL0-G82ZA RING, PUSH KNOB
54300-TL0-G81ZA BOOT SET, SELECT

staro0989

by staro0989 » November 12th, 2014

Brian wrote:OP should add this detail to their post, might be an important one LOL

These are the part #'s:
08U92-TL2-210 SELECT KNOB - AT
54133-TL0-G82ZA RING, PUSH KNOB
54300-TL0-G81ZA BOOT SET, SELECT

Lol thanks, I created this DIY in 2009. I didn't think of including the part numbers.

YoLowAccord

by YoLowAccord » November 12th, 2014

looks clean. Isnt there a variation of this where the boot covers that whole silver part around the shifter?

staro0989

by staro0989 » November 12th, 2014

YoLowAccord wrote:looks clean. Isnt there a variation of this where the boot covers that whole silver part around the shifter?

Thanks! Here is a photo and explanation from an old member on DA:

dexterdog wrote:Image

I can sort of explain how I did it since I didn't take pics and it was not a super easy install. I bought the trim ring and boot for the M/T Accord. I bought a TSX shift Knob and collar. The boot is stapled to a ring that fits inside the trim ring and it is zip tied to the collar. That is how it comes from the factory. The boot has to be shortened and the Accord base trim rings have to be trimmed to fit under the A/T console. This is alot of trim and fit.

He was actually the first one to do this modification successfully followed by me in 2009.

ruffbrian

by ruffbrian » November 12th, 2014

I tried to do the MT boot on my car a while back and it was a failure. I bought the parts from a member here cause he was working at a dealership and supplied me everything i needed, but the boot was too tight to fit in the ring for some reason and i couldnt get it to stay put and look good. Ended up ruining the boot and said fuck it, havent re attempted since :/

coolblue

by coolblue » November 12th, 2014

I might do this Mod. :(

Why you said that Ruff lol
Honda Accord Coupe EX-L I4
Belize Blue Pearl
Instagram • kulblue
Build Thread • CoolBlue™
FaceBook • CoolBlue™