DIY: OEM TDM Inspire Mirror Wiring
Here you will find instructional, do-it-yourself guides and general knowledge about the platform.

Brian

DIY: OEM TDM Inspire Mirror Wiring

by Brian » November 18th, 2014

Let me make this clear, this diagram is only for the TDM model mirrors not the JDM one. The difference between the two is that the TDM one requires the mirror harness to be plugged in to both side while the JDM model on the driver side, it has a bundle of wires coming out of the mirror. I will provide the wiring diagram for the LX Sedan Model and the EX and Higher Sedan Model, the difference between the two is that the LX requires one more pigtail than the EX or higher.

I am not going to be showing you how to remove the interior door panels to run the wires, if you are not capable of removing the door panels then please do not attempt this DIY and take it to a Shop.

*As a disclosure I am not reasonable for anything that happens during your install. I am showing you how I did mines and it works great. As with any electronic installation, ALWAYS remove the negative terminal on the battery.

Tools require for installation:
- 8mm Socket
- Small Flathead Screwdriver
- Pliers
- Electrical Tape
- Zip Ties
- Metal hanger or a Big long Zip Tie (What I used, a lot easier IMO)
- 10 Pigtails for LX & 9 Pigtails for EX
- 6 T-Taps
- 18 Gauge Wires (Length depends where to Tap your signal to)

These are mirror harness from 95+ Honda cars with Power side mirrors, if you look at them they look just like the ones on our cars. I was able to obtain these off the cars at my local junk yard. What you need to do to remove the pigtails without damaging them is melt the black harness and slowly pull the pigtails out and MAKE SURE NOT TO DAMAGE IT because they will not be useable after.

This here is the Wiring diagram that I put together for the Mirrors and the switch. The little paragraph I have written under the diagram for the button is pretty much means that the polarity for the Passenger side folding wires is the opposite of the driver side so what you do is you T-tap the NEGATIVE wire for folding on the Passenger side to the POSITIVE folding wire of the Driver side and you T-tap the POSITIVE wire for the Passenger side to the NEGATIVE on the driver side.

To remove the stock mirrors, open your door widely and remove your tweeters by just pulling them straight out to expose the mirror harness and bolts. After removing the tweeters and unplugging them, place then on the side. After do so, unplug the mirror harness and remove the 3 nuts that I circled in green with a 8mm Socket. After you remove all three nuts, go on the outside of the car and pull the mirror straight out and then replace it with your Inspire Mirrors.

Sorry but I do not have a picture of the stock mirror harness on hand but depending on which trim level your car is, there will be 3 empty spots with no wires in it on the EX and higher trim and 4 empty spots for the LX model. Since I ran my wires for my signal to the back I measured out 4 - 17 feet wires, 2 - 10 feet wires, and 2 - 2 feet wires. I solder a pigtail on one side of each of the wires beside my 2 - 2 feet ones, those I solder a pigtail on each side. Before I added the pigtails to the car's harness I ran a pair of 17 feet wires and the pair of 10 feet wires through the Passenger door boot and I ran a pair of 17 feet wire through the Driver side door boot. Make sure the pigtail ends are going towards the car and not the inside of the car.

Here is my mirror harness with the pigtails in. The wires in the grey tape are the wires that were already on the car. Since I have an EX, my car already came with a ground for my Signal so I only needed to add 3 pigtails.
- Blue/ Wire is for the Positive Folding
- Yellow/ Grey is the Negative Folding
- Blue/ Orange is the Signal Positive

This is the picture is the back of the Folding button. To remove the old switch I believe there is 2 or 3 screws holding it in place. You can see there is 2 right there and if there is a 3rd one, it might be on the bottom. Again the wires in the grey tape were already on the car.
Wires I added
- Blue/ White is the Positive Folding for Driver (Negative Folding for Passenger)
- Yellow/ Grey is the Negative Folding for Driver (Positive Folding for Driver)

And you're done! Once I do an install for the JDM mirrors I will add to the DIY but the most common model of the Inspire sold is the TDM one, which is easier to install. Like I said before the DIY, depending where you tap your signal wire for your mirrors, the length of the wires will vary. Someone did post a wiring diagram for and Alarm/ Audio install in this forum, you can use that to figure out which wires are for the signals under your dash and that will save you a lot of wires.

Any other question feel free to leave a comment below!

mcbtay
Site Admin

Re: DIY: OEM TDM Inspire Mirror Wiring

by mcbtay » November 18th, 2014

Great writeup! Pretty much exactly how I did mine. I'm sure plenty can make use of this!

nghanzo

Re: DIY: OEM TDM Inspire Mirror Wiring

by nghanzo » November 13th, 2015

great write-up Brian! do you have or know anyone with the write-up for using the key remote lock/unlock to fold/unfold function?