O2 Sensor Help!
Engine and performance mods to make your Accord more racekar.

randiye

O2 Sensor Help!

by randiye » February 24th, 2016

I've come to a conclusion that I probably have a faulty O2 sensor which explains why my average mpg is 20 when I always accelerate light and keep it below 3k rpm. I was wondering where can I get the O2 sensor and if anyone knows how to replace the O2 sensor, I'm all ears. My car is about 101k so it's reasonable that the O2 may be incorrectly reading oxygen thus causing my car to consume more fuel.

ErOk1985

Re: O2 Sensor Help!

by ErOk1985 » February 25th, 2016

rand-eye,
Go to your local autozone, oreilys and buy the o2 sensor tool (~$9.00). And see if they sell some 02 sensors as well. Ask Autozone to see which one of your o2 sensor is faulty.
Then proceed to watch a DIY youtube video.
Erok

Big LrG

by Big LrG » February 25th, 2016

randiye wrote:I've come to a conclusion that I probably have a faulty O2 sensor which explains why my average mpg is 20 when I always accelerate light and keep it below 3k rpm. I was wondering where can I get the O2 sensor and if anyone knows how to replace the O2 sensor, I'm all ears. My car is about 101k so it's reasonable that the O2 may be incorrectly reading oxygen thus causing my car to consume more fuel.

If your O2 sensor is faulty it should be throwing a CEL. If you don't have a scan tool you can have Autozone/Advances Auto Parts/Orilley's do the check for free. It'll tell you which sensor is faulty if that is the case.
08' Alabaster Silver Coupe V6

randiye

by randiye » March 1st, 2016

Big LrG wrote:
randiye wrote:I've come to a conclusion that I probably have a faulty O2 sensor which explains why my average mpg is 20 when I always accelerate light and keep it below 3k rpm. I was wondering where can I get the O2 sensor and if anyone knows how to replace the O2 sensor, I'm all ears. My car is about 101k so it's reasonable that the O2 may be incorrectly reading oxygen thus causing my car to consume more fuel.

If your O2 sensor is faulty it should be throwing a CEL. If you don't have a scan tool you can have Autozone/Advances Auto Parts/Orilley's do the check for free. It'll tell you which sensor is faulty if that is the case.

My car has been consistently getting 20 mpg for the last 3 fillups and I keep my acceleration below 3k. It seems pretty low considering the default mpg is 21 local and 29/30 highway. My consensus is that the O2 sensor is going bad but not bad enough throw a CEL. I was thinking it's either the O2 sensor, Air Fuel sensor or MAF.

Big LrG

by Big LrG » March 1st, 2016

randiye wrote:
Big LrG wrote:

My car has been consistently getting 20 mpg for the last 3 fillups and I keep my acceleration below 3k. It seems pretty low considering the default mpg is 21 local and 29/30 highway. My consensus is that the O2 sensor is going bad but not bad enough throw a CEL. I was thinking it's either the O2 sensor, Air Fuel sensor or MAF.

Less expensive route, (as long as you don't do any damage) is to get some MAF cleaner, try it out and see if that improves. Next step could be O2 sensors. College Hill's Honda would be the place to get new sensors. Install can be a pain if your bolts/nuts are rusted.

randiye

Big LrG wrote:
randiye wrote:
Big LrG wrote:

Less expensive route, (as long as you don't do any damage) is to get some MAF cleaner, try it out and see if that improves. Next step could be O2 sensors. College Hill's Honda would be the place to get new sensors. Install can be a pain if your bolts/nuts are rusted.

Can oreilly or autozone check if my MAF is faulty or going bad?

Big LrG

by Big LrG » March 1st, 2016

randiye wrote:
Big LrG wrote:
randiye wrote:

The OBDII scan tool will read if it is or not. AutoZone and Oreilly's will have one. They check free of charge.

Here is a link that IMO would rule out the faulty MAF: http://www.aa1car.com/library/maf_sensors.htm
Typically a faulty MAF would throw a code as well.

Maybe check your oil and or tire pressure as well. Also if you are driving on elevated land that could be the case as well. The elevation may not be significant but the most gradual grade would/could put the engine under load thus reducing mpg.

randiye

Big LrG wrote:
randiye wrote:
Big LrG wrote:

The OBDII scan tool will read if it is or not. AutoZone and Oreilly's will have one. They check free of charge.

Here is a link that IMO would rule out the faulty MAF: http://www.aa1car.com/library/maf_sensors.htm
Typically a faulty MAF would throw a code as well.

Maybe check your oil and or tire pressure as well. Also if you are driving on elevated land that could be the case as well. The elevation may not be significant but the most gradual grade would/could put the engine under load thus reducing mpg.

Where I normally drive, it's a bit elevated but I don't think it would decrease the avg mpg from 24/25 mpg to 20 mpg. That's a big jump. Avg 20 mpg is like running a car with 16 local/24 highway like GTR. Maybe it's a dirty MAF and one of the 2 oxygen sensors is going bad. My oil is good and so is my tire pressure.