V6 Owners- J37 Upper Intake Manifold/Throttle Body
Engine and performance mods to make your Accord more racekar.

ChadG

V6 Owners- J37 Upper Intake Manifold/Throttle Body

by ChadG » March 11th, 2015

I should have purchased the Intake Manifold when I bought my Throttle Body, but moving on. Looking for members who can provide Hints/Tips/Tricks and Suggestions to those looking to do this mod. I know the old forum was just starting to get wind of this and some people had made headway with this mod, but the majority of that information is long since gone, and mostly forgotten.

So who knows what fits, what won't fit. best place/price to get them. anything you know, or can contribute would be greatly appreciated.
I know that @ccord10 has already made a thread on this (Nice Write up BTW), but their thread seems to be more about the build itself rather than the possible options available.

korrupt3dazn

Re: V6 Owners- J37 Upper Intake Manifold/Throttle Body

by korrupt3dazn » March 11th, 2015

I went with the Acura ZDX Throttle Body and Acura ZDX Intake Manifold. This was the best bang for the buck if you wanted to jump up to a 3.7L TB/IM. The TL-SHAWD TB was larger by only a few mm but almost twice as much in price. Its pretty much direct bolt on. Take off old stuff put on new stuff. I used my Intake Manifold cover off the stock Intake Manifold.

MyLevel

by MyLevel » March 11th, 2015

I just purchased the 07 3.7 mdx intake manifold... the inlet of the manifold is pretty identical if not the same diameter as my stock j35? I would like to see the measurments and differences in theses manifolds (tl-sh, zdx, mdx) Ive seen the throttle body difference. So what makes what IM better than the other.
IDK if it is because i have the 07 IM off the mdx and was one of the first 3.7... or are all the IM have the same diameter inlet as the J35
-Im sure @ccord10 could chime in.

ChadG

by ChadG » March 12th, 2015

I looked at Bernadi Acura Parts and priced up several J37 Intake Manifolds (Manifold Only-No Gasket or Throttle Body) and they are priced around $200.00 compared to the one at heeltoe which is $6-700. I asked about it on another FB Page and they said it was because of the metal used... Magnesium vs Alloy. Why Such the big price jump, is there really that big of a difference in performance?

@ccord10

by @ccord10 » March 12th, 2015

MyLevel wrote:I just purchased the 07 3.7 mdx intake manifold... the inlet of the manifold is pretty identical if not the same diameter as my stock j35? I would like to see the measurments and differences in theses manifolds (tl-sh, zdx, mdx) Ive seen the throttle body difference. So what makes what IM better than the other.
IDK if it is because i have the 07 IM off the mdx and was one of the first 3.7... or are all the IM have the same diameter inlet as the J35

The '07MDX throttle body port should be larger than the stock J35 because it needs more air, i'm not sure of the exact inside diameter of the 3.5l TB(68-70mm?) but the TL_SH TB is 80mm. the outlets to the intake runners are all the same size 3.5l vs 3.7l. The major differences between 3.5l &3.7l are the TB port size, intake chamber size, and the crossover port sizing. the larger chamber size helps improve torque and the larger crossovers help power in the upper rpm's. there is not much difference between 3.7l manifolds. The only major differences i can see between the 3.7l manifolds are the crossover size and shape, the TB port length (and possibly the TB port size?). All 3.7l manifolds are made of magnesium vs 3.5l aluminum manifolds. The TSX manifold is identical to the ZDX/MDX but it costs more because its imported from Japan :? .

ChadG

by ChadG » March 13th, 2015

@ccord10 wrote:
MyLevel wrote:I just purchased the 07 3.7 mdx intake manifold... the inlet of the manifold is pretty identical if not the same diameter as my stock j35? I would like to see the measurments and differences in theses manifolds (tl-sh, zdx, mdx) Ive seen the throttle body difference. So what makes what IM better than the other.

The '07MDX throttle body port should be larger than the stock J35 because it needs more air, i'm not sure of the exact inside diameter of the 3.5l TB(68-70mm?) but the TL_SH TB is 80mm. the outlets to the intake runners are all the same size 3.5l vs 3.7l. The major differences between 3.5l &3.7l are the TB port size, intake chamber size, and the crossover port sizing. the larger chamber size helps improve torque and the larger crossovers help power in the upper rpm's. there is not much difference between 3.7l manifolds. The only major differences i can see between the 3.7l manifolds are the crossover size and shape, the TB port length (and possibly the TB port size?). All 3.7l manifolds are made of magnesium vs 3.5l aluminum manifolds. The TSX manifold is identical to the ZDX/MDX but it costs more because its imported from Japan :? .

@ccord10, You seem to know quite a lot about the differences between the various models of Intake Manifolds and Throttle Bodies. If money wasn't an issue vs a budget, and an understanding that you hold no responsibility on your opinion or recommendation because of the use of aftermarket parts that have not been tested, Which Combination of IM and TB do you think would be best?

Thanks

@ccord10

by @ccord10 » March 13th, 2015

i would go with any of the 2nd gen 3.7l manifolds(09 TL-SH/TSX,'10 and later ZDX/MDX), they all have about the same performance and the TL-SH AWD TB. of course if money is no object i would go with this LOL
silnikcrzgt.jpg
silnikcrzgt.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 35261 times

ChadG

by ChadG » March 18th, 2015

haha, Yea If money was no issue, I think many of us wouldn't have bought the accord... probably hold out for the NSX lol. Looks good, Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

MyLevel

by MyLevel » March 19th, 2015

here is my mdx from the 07, yes its the 3.7l.
Attachments
03BA08E7-F9B2-48EB-98F9-E1B8AF01A5F9_zpsix0r59xc.jpg
0EA1BA7A-59DE-482E-8D2C-4F2018127ADF_zpseusiz8db.jpg

@ccord10

by @ccord10 » March 25th, 2015

any updates on this, curious if the TB fits the older intake.